WordPress HTTPS Setup
Upgrade to HTTPS to Improve SEO, Speed, and Security
Get HTTPS to Boost Your SEO, Speed, and Security
And build trust and credibility with your customers.
Why Your Website Needs HTTPS and SSL
Chrome shows a Not Secure warning on all non-HTTPS websites. If you have any kind of form on your site, such as a contact form, newsletter subscription, search bar, credit card, login, or any kind of form, Chrome will display a Not Secure warning as soon as your visitor starts filling your form.
If you don't have any forms or fields, you will still get a small icon in the address bar that says "Your connection to this site is not secure."
Google is pushing “HTTPS Everywhere” because sites without HTTPS expose data in plain text (unencrypted), including browsing history and passwords. This allows hackers to exploit your site and visitors.
Implementing HTTPS has a ton of benefits for your site, including speed, SEO, and credibility. Google ranks HTTPS sites higher in search engine results, so you can improve traffic to your site.
HTTPS can also speed up your website and boost your brand by displaying the solid green padlock to visitors - which will soon become a standard security signal users expect.
Google ranks websites with HTTPS higher in search results.
All websites, even small ones, benefit from increased security.
HTTPS can speed up most websites by 30%+.
Browsers now warn visitors to regular HTTP sites.
The green padlock boosts credibility.
What Does It Take To Implement HTTPS?
An SSL certificate - and a whole lot more!
Steps to Setup HTTPS in WordPress
Getting and installing an SSL certificate on your server is just the first step. To maximize the SEO, speed, and security benefits, there are a number of pain-staking steps you need to take or else risk breaking things and harming your traffic.
Here’s a brief overview of the necessary steps:
- Determine SSL certificate requirements based on your website and hosting.
- Purchase or provision SSL certificates.
- Install SSL certificates and implement server-side rewrite rules.
- Fix mixed content errors by hand, plugins, or database queries.
- Scan your site for errors and run SSL quality tests.
- Inform Google Search Console and Analytics about the switch to an HTTPS domain.
- Renew SSL certificates before expiration.
Common Problems Implementing HTTPS
- Too Many Redirects - Your site becomes inaccessible due to mistakes made while setting up redirects from the old HTTP URLs to the new HTTPS URLs.
- SSL certificates not set up correctly can result in Chrome and other browsers blocking your site.
- Mixed Content Errors: if you still have references to HTTP resources within your HTML, Chrome will still indicate that your site is not secure.
- SEO requirements and analytics - once you switch to HTTPS, your site’s search engine optimization needs to reflect this by updating meta tags, Google Search Console, Google Analytics, etc.
- Difficulty with advanced security settings such as HSTS, HSTS preload, TLS 1.2+, and others.
- Expired SSL certificates due to missing the renewal and re-installation by the expiration date will result in a Not Secure message once again.
Save Time, Money, and Heartache
Let an experienced WordPress professional install your SSL certificate and set up your HTTPS.
We review your website to evaluate the best, most cost-effective options given your hosting setup.
SSL Certificate Included
An SSL certificate is what encrypts your site and enables HTTPS.
Installation & Configuration
We install SSL, configure various WordPress settings, & force all URLs to HTTPS.
We configure the WordPress SSL plugins appropriate for your site.
HTTPS Error Fixing
"Mixed content" and other HTTPS implementation errors fixed.
Step-by-step instructions to inform Google about the switch to HTTPS.
Web Host Communications
We talk to your host as needed to set up necessary configurations.
We provide a summary of all changes made to your WordPress website.
Our suggestions for any WordPress enhancements we found along the way.
Critical to the success of marketing my new book. Reliable, top notch work I highly recommend.
Why Choose Fletcher Digital?
- 12+ years experience with WordPress
- 20+ years in marketing and strategy
- Expertise in SSL certificate installation
- Focused on results - SEO, speed, & security
- Based out of Washington, DC
- Fast, reliable, affordable, & recommended